Wednesday 27 January 2010

Ale & Hearty

It looks as though I may become the next editor of Ale & Hearty, the magazine of the Southport & District Branch of CAMRA.  This is of course subject to the democratic process at the Branch AGM, but there have been no other eager volunteers so far.  As the outgoing editor Michael Hoey reports, he has had health problems and at the same time his job has become more demanding.  He modestly plays down his contribution, but I think his approach has been spot on.

I agree with his expressed intention to focus more on campaigning and local pubs and issues, the campaign to reopen the Becconsall in Hesketh Bank being a good example. I have been told the campaigners there are looking at examples of pubs being taken over by the community, such as the Star in Salford that I reported on a week or so ago. This is definitely something for Ale & Hearty, especially as the Branch has just taken over that area.

I hope I don't let down all the previous editors or the readers of this well-established magazine (56 issues so far). For me, it's "put your money where your mouth is" time! If there's a contested election at the AGM and I lose, my report on that here will be much briefer!

The cover of the Ale & Hearty above shows the display in the Inn Beer Shop on Lord Street, a place I have yet to visit. Click on the picture to enlarge it.

2 comments:

  1. You'll be a great success,good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I'll certainly give it my best shot.

    Nice to see you in the Guest House tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.