Thursday 20 August 2015

Trying the Supreme Champion Beer of Britain

I called into the Tap and Bottles, a micropub in the Cambridge Arcade in Southport, this evening. One of the cask beers was Tiny Rebel Cwtch, the new Supreme Champion Beer of Britain, so naturally I had to try it. It's a 4.6% red beer, with a very attractive appearance and a head that lasted well. The brewer's website says: "Citrus and tropical fruit dominate the taste that is backed up with caramel malts that balance the moderate bitterness. Drinkability & balance makes [sic] this beer."

The citrus and tropical fruit completely escaped me, but I'd agree that a certain maltiness is combined with a moderate bitterness. It vaguely reminded me of a former Champion Beer, Ind Coope Burton Ale but without the sweetness. It is quite an old-fashioned beer which I found quite pleasant, but unremarkable; I really don't see it as the best beer in Britain. In fact, I'm fairly sure that I'd prefer Burton when it was at its best.

Cwtch: Welsh word for an affectionate hug. There's no literal English translation, but its nearest equivlent is "safe place". So if you give someone a cwtch, you're giving them a "safe place". It can also be used as a place to store things safely (usually a cupboard under a staircase). From the Urban Dictionary.

5 comments:

  1. Never had it myself, although I'll certainly try it if I see it. The brewery says it has quite a high IBU of 50, but obviously that didn't come through in your sample.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Nev seems to have drawn the short straw there. I'm not too much a fan of theses hoppy red ales but the last time I had this it was nicley hoppy and bitter.

    Tiny Rebel do seem to appeal to all streams of beer opinion - the other year they won the top three places in CAMRA's Champion Beer of Wales competition - and this is perhaps the only negative comment I've read anywhere about this year'd Champion Beeer of Britain - crafterati and traditionalistas alike seem to think it was a worthy winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'd have to agree with Mr Clarke. I'm not a fan of this style, either, normally but this isn't bad at all. Perhaps Nev's sample was a bit on the green side as I've found it's much better as a mature pint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it at GBBF and thought it really rather good. It was in excellent condition and the temperature was spot on.

    There was a good spicy bitterness, excellent body and it was drinkable and distinctive. I can see why it won.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps it was on too early, as Tyson suggested. It is a micropub without much storage space.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.