Wednesday 8 January 2014

More pub closures

Rueters, Hoghton Street
Rueters [sic] on Hoghton Street, Southport has closed because it can no longer afford rising costs. It was more of a wine bar than a pub, although it had served real ale at certain times in its history. It was always particularly popular for work outings, but was never really my cup of tea. As it always seemed to be successful, I'm surprised it has had to close.

Also closed is the George on the corner of Duke Street and Cemetery Road. It was not a real ale pub, but again I'm surprised at this closure as it had recently been refurbished. They sometimes put on live music acts; I've played there quite a few times in the past. I'm not sure why it has closed; I have heard some speculation, but won't repeat it because I've no idea how accurate it is.

Finally, Ernesto, who has written a number of comments on this blog, has informed me that the Martin Inn, a long-standing real ale pub near Ormskirk, Lancashire, has also closed. He wrote: "I've only recently discovered on a canal pub walk that The Martin Inn has closed. Not good ... Always found it an interesting 'outlier' to visit from time to time". I have no more information than that.

I don't know whether or not these closures are temporary, but even if they are short term, they are still a unwelcome symptom of the current fragility of the pub industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.