Thursday 15 August 2013

Yeuch!

Will it really look like this?
Our American cousins have devised a solution to that perennial problem of having a beer when you are backpacking in the wilds of, say, Lancashire. As they suggest, you may feel like having a beer after a long walk, but carrying a sufficient supply of tinned or bottled beer isn't practical. Pat's Backcountry Beverages has the answer: a concentrate to which you add water and, using a portable carbonation system, create beer. They say that it's not dehydrated beer; it is apparently brewed with very little water using their special technology - patent applied for - and produces a beer that supposedly tastes like a premium micro brew. Each pack makes a 16 oz. pint, which gives away its American origin, a British pint being 20 fl oz.

There has to be a catch, of course: if you're hiking along the Leeds-Liverpool canal and fancy a beer, the only source of water would be the canal itself, in which case I suggest you either carry a stomach pump or take a supply of fresh water with you, which rather negates the selling point of the product. And if you're hiking nowhere near water? Wait for rain, I suppose.

So what we are talking about is a sludge that resembles Marmite to which you add water, assuming you can find any, and then use a device to carbonate it and thus make it into beer; it sounds delicious. British microbreweries will be quaking in their boots.

4 comments:

  1. I suppose that unlike in England in America you could be hundreds of miles from a decent pub. I don't see why you couldn't just take some bottles with you though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy portable hiker water filtration kits. I have never used one and cannot comment on their utility.

    Whilst it may be sacrilege to beer enthusiasts to water down beer I once tried a bottle of a very strong american ipa I found undrinkable. Most geeks would chuck beer they didn't like. I'm a tight wad. I tried adding sparkling buxton mineral water. It became drinkable, not brilliant, but drinkable. I didn't even have to try my usual trick of lime cordial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would stick to water and walk onto the next pub quite frankly!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.