I wrote about the fire at the Scotch Piper in Lydiate, the oldest pub in the area. The early indications were that, although the blaze was furious and took four hours to bring under control, the damage was mostly to the thatched roof. This has proved to be the case, and the roof structure and the building were saved.
A fire brigade spokesperson said: "The thatched roof is 100 per cent damaged by fire. The property is severely damaged by water from fire fighting." The police have ruled out foul play.
Scaffolding has been set up, and piles of new thatch have appeared, although it will be some time before the pub can reopen.
To find out more about this classic pub, please have a look at the post that I wrote in April 2016; this also appeared in the CAMRA column of our local paper, the Southport Visiter.
The centre cannot mould
3 hours ago