Thursday 23 July 2015

Truman's Lazarus

I was at the Wednesday lunchtime song session in the White Star in Rainford Gardens, Liverpool, yesterday, and a good afternoon it was too. I haven't been in this pub for some time, although in the 70s and 80s my friends and I used to seek it out for the quality of its draught Bass.

Truman's Lazarus was on the bar. I knew Truman's had been revived a few years ago, but hadn't really expected to see its beer in Liverpool. I've no recollection of ever drinking the original Truman's, but then I've never been a frequent visitor to London.

As the pumpclip suggests, it is very pale, typical of the golden ales that are increasingly popular at present. It is made with Cascade and Chinook hops and Pale Barley malt, and the brewery website describes it as "juicy and zesty, without ever becoming overpowering". I'm not sure I'd quite agree: it is certainly citrusy and hoppy, but I found the bitterness quite pronounced, definitely far too much for lovers of beers such as Thwaites Wainwright or Robinsons Dizzy Blonde. I like beers with noticeable bitterness so I did enjoy it, but after three pints, even I found I wanted a change, so I switched to the Bass, which is still well-kept in the White Star.

It's a good example of the style, but I suspect too bitter for some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.